Tuesday, June 2, 2009

TV Commitmentphobia

TV is stressful. Admit it. Supposedly it provides us a chance to shut our brains off and turn into some sort of vegetable. A potato I think. But with the advent of cable, Tivo, reality, network premiers, FCC regulations, surround sound, all-in-one remotes... heck, it's no longer a way to rest. Where we once sat back and shut down, now we must navigate and comply.

While all of these issues offer mild anxiety, the true anxious experience can be created by getting hooked to a show. Some like Lost, Grey's or CSI, others like The Hills or The Bachelor. American Idol, playoffs, History channel. It doesn't matter though. Because if you miss your show, you might as well end your life.

Do as I have done. I committed the past several years to a certain Sunday night program. Rather than provide me any sense of relaxation, my Sundays have literally revolved around seeing this show. I've left dinners early, skipped funerals of close family members, and walked out on my own wedding for this show.

Oh, and forget about recording your show because it's just not the same.

Whew, my heart is racing already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Anxiety, Timeless + Foolproof

Grape Tweets

    follow me on Twitter